Friday, May 14, 2021

An unexpected journey

In 2014 when buying my BRZ I thought about buying an NSX. At that time spending 25K on the BRZ or 25-30K on a low/med mileage, good condition NSX was something you could have a reasonable debate about. At the time the hype around the BRZ was palpable and I thought I'd like to have something new, 100% reliable, and be on the cusp of the 'next Miata'. I also thought "If NSXs are 25k now, later I'll be able to get good ones in the 15-20k range".  Oh how wrong I was. 

I forgot about NSXs for a while, had fun with the BRZ, built an RT4WD wagon which turned into an endless project and after a discussion with my wife Caitlin I decided it was time to sell the wagon project and start saving for an NSX...in a few years. 

 The floor of the NSX pricing seemed like it was going up weekly but I wasn't in a place financially to really consider an NSX and I had a LOT of wagon parts to sell, and a wagon to sell before I started on that journey...or so I thought. 

I was introduced to a friend of a friend, Scott, while discussing a K series swap into a soon to be EK track car. We kept in touch throughout the swap and a little after and out of nowhere I get a text from Scott which said "A guy is going to get in touch with you about an NSX". Ooooook?! And then shortly after I got a text saying "Your friend Scott told me you were interested in buying an NSX?".

The story is that Scott sold a Miata to a friend of Ben (the NSX owner) and over normal car enthusiast talk Ben mentioned he had an NSX, and Scott remembering our conversation asked if he wanted to sell it to which Ben said it wasn't in the best shape but he was going to post it up in a few months. So I found this car from a friend of a friend who sold a car to a guy who's friend was selling an NSX.

Ben and I talked and the car was exactly what I was looking for. Higher mileage, cosmetic faults a plenty, but mechanically sound, and 100% OEM.

After many discussions with Caitlin, help from friends, I decided to pull the trigger and start a long journey with a car I really wasn't expecting to own for some time. I feel really lucky to have the family and friends around me that helped this dream of mine come true.  

I remember seeing Richard from Lap Of The World (https://www.youtube.com/c/LapoftheWorld) on VinWiki a few years ago talking about buying the cheapest manual, clean title, OEM NSX to ever change hands. I had a thought after watching that video that the only way I'd be able to buy one would be in some similar fashion. And I believe that based on how prices are going although Richards purchase will likely hold the record forever I did buy the cheapest manual, clean title OEM NSX in 2021 and that price will likely be hard to beat going forward.

But with that price comes with a lot of work ahead of me. Pretty much every piece in the interior aside from cluster and stalks need to be replaced or worked on. Every panel on the car needs work either through detailing, dentless paint repair, or actual repair. The car is due for a major service which will end up touching most things as well. It's going to be a long term project and I can't wait to get started. 

Check on my IG for shorter updates ( @jacob._.mueller ), and the blog for more detailed posts. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment